Monday 23 December 2013

Latitude 38 Degrees South - Day 4 - It's All Downhill from Here!

The day dawned with a thick fog enveloping the ridgetop - a real pea-souper. Packed up and ready to tackle the last 9km of my first NZ Great Walk!



From Panekiri Hut, the track once again undulated along the ridgeline through more of the beautiful cloud forest. Openings in the forest would normally have afforded good views of the bluffs and the lake but the low cloud persisted. After 1.5 hours, we detoured from the track to "Bald Knob", a rocky bluff which usually offers the biggest views of Lake Waikaremoana. Unfortunately all we were looking at was a large white abyss. Not picture perfect, but as a good friend once said to me - "We can see blue skies anytime. But, clouds and mist, that's special." From Bald Knob, it was another hour to the Puketapu Trig (1180m) where we caught glimpses of the lake. 

 








One hour of very steep downhill track to end the hike awaited. I couldn't wait to tackle this! I really wanted to test my downhill billygoat running. I set off wanting to get down as quickly (and safely) as I could. And yes, it only took me 30 mins to reach the trailhead at Onepoto Bay.
Just enough time to have one last swim in the beautiful lake before the heavens opened up again with another drenching rain. 

I remember I was smiling, actually beaming from ear to ear, as I ran down that last hill. 
Smiling because I had enjoyed the hike, smiling because of my fitness, smiling because I had actually done this all by myself, and smiling because I was having fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment