Tuesday 28 May 2013

White-water thrills!

Walked the streets of Arequipa, looking for a new SD card for one of the cameras as memory card already full.
Feeling a little flat today. Decided to take it easy this morning and continue to adjust to the altitude.
Hotel has a rooftop terrace with great views of the three mountains surrounding Arequipa - Chachani, El Misti and Pichu Pichu - all of them around 6000m. Hard to believe that they are 3/4 height of Everest. All are still snow capped. Gorgeous vista.
El Misti

Chachani
Camerons had booked some white water rafting so we decided to tag along. Both of us a little apprehensive as neither of us had rafted before. Picked up from hotel (minus Barb) who had succumbed to the curse of traveller's "you know what".
The Rio Chili runs through the city with its source in the mountains (near Chachani i think). The drive up to the starting point had great views of the fertile valley below with numerous market gardens, being irrigated by the river. Looked like a patchwork quilt. 
I was very nervous whilst listening to the safety briefing, but there was no looking back now. 
Jenny and I carried the paddles and the lads carried the boat down to the river and after a final safety check by Martins, our "El Capitano", we were off. Most of the 6km river run was Class 1-3 rapids, but there was a section of Class 4 rapids towards the end. We followed our instructions diligently and were the best crew out there by far. It was much easier that I anticipated and a lot of fun. We even had the opportunity to stop and jump off one of the rock ledges overlooking the river. It was probably only 7 metres high, but even I had a go, despite my fear of heights. 
One of the kayakers also took photos, so we have a great lasting memory of our first rafting experience. Both Jack and I agreed, it won't be our last!

The safety briefing
Off we go!
Is that a look of fun?
Or fear?
Trying to conquer my fear of heights!
Yay Team!

The exertion of paddling, a belly full of water swallowed after my rock ledge jump, combined with the altitude left me extremely tired afterwards. I had already been feeling lethargic. I warned Jack before dinner that I might not be a good dinner companion. I was feeling very flat and by the end of dinner was nauseous. As soon as we got back to the hotel, it was my turn to experience the Traveller's Curse. Hopefully it would pass quickly.......

No comments:

Post a Comment