Friday 23 June 2017

Of highlands and heartlines - Camp Deliverance to Cicada camp

Amazing views this morning of the eastern flanks and ridge line of Mt Victoria with distant views of the ridge line we traversed on Days 2 and 3 and the Yodda Valley.

Knowing there were only 2 days until we finish, there is a sense of relief but also sadness.
I have loved the routine of eat, walk, sleep, repeat.
Day in, day out.
I wished I could keep going, exploring and discovering more of this amazing wilderness.




Another short day of hiking today.
The clouds rolled in early today and it rained from mid-morning.
This coupled with the thick rain forest terrain slowed my pace enormously.
The front of the group scurried off in search of the campsite, forgetting about the tail.
The heavy rain had drenched me, I was wet and cold and quickly became frustrated at not being able to find the trail. The constant downpour made it difficult to see and I had no-one to follow.
It is amazing to see how the weather or your mood can profoundly alter your experience.
I became very frustrated and angry.
Luckily, Blaizes was behind me and helped navigate me through the jungle.
We eventually made camp and I vented my opinions on "group walking etiquette" to the walk leaders.

The heavy rain persisted for most of the afternoon with a thunderstorm thrown in for good measure.
Fortunately, there was ample firewood, and a blazing fire went a long way in creating a congenial camp.
The group continued their trip reflections over cups of tea.
When the rain eventually stopped in the late afternoon, the pitter-patter of raindrops on the tarp were replaced by a loud chorus of cicadas.
And that's what sealed the deal - we named this last campsite - Cicada camp.

The rain started again in the evening and persisted until the early hours of morning, keeping me awake and on high alert for flooding around my tent!

Blaizes and Simon keeping the home fires burning


No comments:

Post a Comment